background

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Race for the Cure

In Memory of
Lona Shannon Luck Topham





6/11/1970 - 7/6/2004

We were lucky enough to spend the Saturday of Mother's Day
weekend celebrating the life of this special woman. 

Lona lost her 4 year long battle with breast cancer
in July of 2004.  She left behind these two beautiful girls.


This is the first picture I ever saw of my girls.  Look how little they are!!!



The first time I met Alexis & Mia, I also got to meet Lona's parents, Terri & Steve. 
Can you imagine how scary it is to meet a guys kids and inlaws?
Terri was wonderful of course, she made me feel very welcome.


This year marks 6 years since Lona passed away.  We wanted
to honor her memory by participating in the
Race for the Cure Fun Run/5k


I felt so loved and blessed that we had 27 people sign up for our team.
Most of the people that came never had the chance to meet Lona.
But they love me and her daughters so much that they
came to support us.



This is Lona's sister Erin and Alexis, Grace & Mia



Scott & Olivia.  She was smart, she has several layers.  It was so COLD



Aunt Mel, Missy, Wendy & Lacey



Charley and Cooper



My best friend Megan, her sons and Mom and neice.



Grandma Terri and Alexis



Brothers: BJ & Scott



Lisa & Eric



My mom's first 5K



Here she goes, this is towards the end of the race. 
Doesn't even look like she's breaking a sweat!



My wonderful cousin Jessica and Aunt Di put together
a wonderful breakfast for us afterwards.



Me and my girls!

It was an amazing experience to see so many
people in one place hoping to find a cure
to such a horrible disease.

I didn't get to know Lona during this lifetime.  But I think we would have been friends.  She was
an amazing woman who loved her kids and would have had several more
if she could have.  She was an amazing artist who loved to draw,
scrapbook and create with clay.
She spent several years fighting a horrible battle
with cancer without giving up hope. 

I am so grateful to be able to get to know Lona
through her daughters, husband and her family.

I love her family.  They have been so accepting of me
stepping in at a time that must have been very hard for them.
I love my family for supporting me in something that was
very important to us.  We want to continue this tradition
every year, in memory of Lona, in hopes that we find a
cure in our lifetime. 

No child should lose their mother
no mother should have to leave their children.


4 comments:

  1. This was a really nice post, Kerst. It made me cry! My only response is AMEN. I hope that a cure is found and that no one has to lose a loved one to such a mean disease. Thanks for letting me a part of it!! It was a blessing in my life to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post Kerstin. You are so amazing. Thanks for letting us be a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome thing for you to do!! I'm sure it means the world to those little girls :) I hope you keep up the tradition for a long time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    got your info off makeitlovely for the art exchange project.
    If you would like to participate still, please contact me.
    sarahmarie345@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete